On the surface, a traffic ticket doesn’t sound like a big deal. However, once you learn more about the potential impact on your life and finances, you may come to realize that you’re in a compromising position.
Here are some of the many potential consequences of a traffic ticket:
- A large fine
- Points on your driving record
- Increased insurance premium (or possible cancelation)
- License suspension
With all these consequences lurking, it may be in your best interest to challenge your traffic ticket. But before you do so on your own, learn more about the benefits of hiring a lawyer to guide you:
- They know which defense strategy to use: Your lawyer doesn’t have to guess as to which defense strategy gives you the best chance of minimizing the consequences. They can lean on their experience and knowledge of the law to help you not only choose a strategy, but carry it out in court. You don’t have to make this tough decision on your own.
- They can get your ticket reduced: There may not be much you can do to prove that you didn’t violate the law. However, it doesn’t mean that you should pay your ticket and deal with the consequences. Your lawyer can get your ticked reduced, such as by negotiating a lower fine and keeping points off your record.
- You don’t have to do as much: Yes, you still have to show up in traffic court, but you can rely on your lawyer to do all the heavy lifting. They’ll take the lead, and all you have to do is follow along.
- It shows that you’re serious: When you have a lawyer by your side, it shows the judge that you’re serious about fighting your traffic ticket.
It’s easy to believe that paying a traffic ticket and moving on with your life is the best approach, but there are times when it makes more sense to challenge it.
If you have a strong case, you may be able to avoid all the penalties associated with the ticket. But even if this doesn’t happen, you can still take steps to minimize the impact on your life.