What to do if you get into a car accident out-of-state?

Traveling is stressful enough without having to worry about something happening while you are away from home. Getting into a car accident is one of those unfortunate events that have a chance of occurring while traveling.

Here are some things that you should do if you get into a car accident as an out-of-state driver in Georgia.

1. Sort out if the state is a no-fault or tort state

In no-fault states, the drivers and their insurances each pay for their own vehicle repairs and medical bills for injuries. In tort states, the driver who is not at fault for the crash must seek compensation from the other driver. Georgia is a tort state, which is something to keep in mind especially if you are driving through Georgia from a no-fault state.

2. File a police report

Just like you would do if you got into an accident back home, you will want to file a report to have the accident on record with the local police office. In Georgia, doing so is even required if there were injuries, deaths, or property damage of $500 or more during the crash.

3. Get repairs made

When you are out of state, it is critical that you get any needed repairs done to your car before continuing with your travels. Have this completed as soon as possible to ensure that your vehicle is safe to be on the road.

Getting into a traffic accident is stressful, but knowing what to do in case you are driving out of state can help things get sorted more quickly.

Contact Us

Subscribe To This Blog’s Feed

Visit Our Criminal Defense Law Website

FindLaw Network